Teetering at the Edge

Wow…December 31st already.

So we’re perched here, teetering at the edge of good-bye to another year. It seems to me that the seasons change quicker, the days are shorter, and the years roll by much faster than they used to.

Some years are better, even easier than others. I recall a few years in which I was flat-out delighted to see December 31 finally arrive. Those were the years that brought the pain of difficult decisions, separation and divorce, deaths of loved ones and friends, or just plain “hard times.” They left me eager for a new start, a new beginning, a new year.

But 2010--for the most part--has been very good to me. I’ve laughed a lot this year, and that is always good! At our house, 2010 was The Year of the Kitchen and Back Porch. And for a couple of do-it-yourself-ers, I think we did a pretty darn good job! Little by little, we’re seeing this neat old house develop into Home, Sweet Home. David and I traveled a bit, spending a couple of weeks this summer in Ghana, seeing dear friends and installing water systems. We made several short trips throughout the year to visit my family in North Carolina. In late summer, we visited David’s mom in Florida and enjoyed a cruise with more friends. In the fall, we journeyed to Ohio to spend some precious time with my step-son and grandson. 2010 was also a year of milestones; I saw my oldest child get married, my middle child begin building her dream home, and my youngest child graduate from college. My dad celebrated his 80th birthday with a big party that brought my aunts and uncles all together for the first time in years.

Tomorrow brings a bright new year; even the date looks promising: 1/1/11. What new secrets will the coming year share? Will this be the year I finally merge that pile of notes and stories into a real book. Becoming debt-free is looking like more of a reality -- will that happen this year? Perhaps I’ll re-acquaint myself with my sewing machine. Will I at last finish that cross-stitch bell-pull that I started (I’m ashamed to say) when my children were babies? 2011 is slated to be The Year of the Bathroom Makeover in this house, and I can honestly say I am eagerly anticipating THAT update! Maybe I’ll learn to play a harp (one of my bucket-list items).

Whether my hands wield a sledgehammer or a needle, pluck a harp string or type on a keyboard, I’m looking forward to a productive new year.

Tonight, though, I’ll fold my hands in prayer, thanking God for the family and friends I cherish, the blessings He’s so graciously given me, and the many lessons I learned in 2010. And I’ll thank Him for 2011, with its unknown mysteries to be revealed over the course of the next 365 days.

One last thing to share with you in 2010 – The Finale from Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite.

This glorious piece of music is one of my all-time favorites, and reminds me of HOPE for new tomorrows!





Blessings and Happy New Year, yall!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

FREE THE TATAS, SAVE THE TURTLES!