Cloud / WISH


I don't get really "preachy" on my blog; I have many friends and readers of different faiths.  I am a follower of Jesus Christ, I was brought up going to Sunday School and church.  I've had some "aha moments" that confirmed my beliefs for me, and I've had many MANY times when I leaned on the promises of the Scriptures.  

There are several verses that have always stuck with me.  One of those is Hebrews 12:1, which says:  “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

The phrase "cloud of witnesses" sticks in my mind.  My interpretation of that "cloud" are the people that encourage us and lift us up throughout our lives. They set examples, show us the way that we ought to go.  That "cloud" has been with me my entire life, whether I realized it or not.

My parents and grandparents, of course, were the beginnings of that cloud.  They set the examples for me to learn how to be kind, respectful, generous, and to follow the Golden Rule of treating others as I'd like to be treated.  They gave me a great start to run that race that is marked out for me.

Among my earliest memories are Sunday School lessons from Mrs. Inez McRae.  She was a soft-spoken, tiny lady who taught the 4- and 5-year old Beginner Class at Peachland Baptist Church.  Her class was full of interesting things to play with:  a little kitchen, puzzles, lots of art supplies, some musical instruments, baby dolls, trucks.  But what I remember MOST is the big Bible that she read stories out of.  She had several ribbons, all different colors, marking different pages in that Bible, and she'd call on us to come choose a color, then she'd read a verse that was on that page.  Mrs. McRae, as well as several of the boys and girls I shared that class with, became part of my cloud of witnesses.  

Throughout the years, the cloud of witnesses around me has shown up in various ways.  A kind word on a tough day, a listener when I needed to vent, guidance from one who cared, an expression of appreciation, a hug, a well-timed phone call or email -- all have been evidence that someone was thinking of me, offering friendship, support, and love. 

Most recently I was reminded of the Cloud of Witnesses that surround me right here, right now.   

By now if you've followed my blog, you know I've been fighting Myasthenia Gravis since back in the spring. (The story begins here.)  I am much better than I was, but I am still not back "up to speed" and have had to cut back on a lot of my activities.  Every day is a battle, to have enough energy to accomplish the simplest tasks.  The medications I must take have unpleasant side effects.  But I am learning to be a warrior in this process, and push myself as much as I can.  

The ribbon color for MG is teal, and the symbol is a snowflake because each case is unique.  To raise awareness, I put together some teal ribbons with snowflake pins.  I took a basket of them to my church, Lake Wateree Presbyterian, and placed it on the table in the back with a note, explaining what they were for.  I figured if anyone wanted to wear one, they'd take it.  I figured a few of the ladies would wear one, anyway.


Last Sunday morning, when I walked into the Sanctuary I got a huge surprise.  Almost every single person in there was wearing a teal ribbon snowflake pin!  I felt so surrounded by the love and support of our congregation.  The choir was singing their Christmas music that morning.  I had been in the choir before but my voice is unstable at this point and I have not been able to join them.  They all wore red and black -- with a teal ribbon snowflake pin. Even people that I barely know sported a pin from the basket.  

It was a huge blessing, a tremendous reminder of that Cloud of Witnesses that surround me daily. I was humbled by the support shown by my church friends.  My spirit felt buoyed up by the love shown by people wearing a simple scrap of ribbon with a white snowflake pin.  

I will always remember how it felt to walk into that church and see a "blizzard" of teal ribbon snowflakes coming from that great Cloud of Witnesses at Lake Wateree Presbyterian Church.  

    



***   ***   ***   ***   *** 
Untethered Time Travel:  WISH

It is 2018.  I am 62 years old.

It's a beautiful, warm day at the beach. 
I am lying on a soft towel spread across the sand.  

The sun is in my eyes and it is very bright.
I am trying to hear the waves in the ocean, but there is a helicopter overhead, and mainly what I hear is the thwock-thwock-twhock sound it makes. 

It's so loud it jangles my nerves.  
To add to the discomfort, there are sand fleas and mosquitoes that are irritating my face and arms.


Actually not a word of that is true.  
I just wish I was at the beach, even with the helicopter, 
sand fleas, and mosquitoes.

It is actually a drizzly, cold day in December.
I am lying on a pad in a medical center.
Instead of the sun, the overhead light in the room is very bright
 and hurts my eyes.  I want to close them, but I am told to keep them open.
The helicopter noise is actually the sound of the Electromyography machine.  It is pretty darn loud as it measures the communication 
between my nerves and muscles.  
The sand fleas and mosquitoes are really the *zings* of electronic impulses, zapping my face, neck, forehead, arm, and hand. 
I feel more tired with every single zap.

Yes, it's been a long, tough day.
But I think I'm tougher. 



(I still wish I was at the beach.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Rejection, plain & simple

Love Ya Legacy