Sunday worship, then Labadi Beach

Sunday, July 12, 2010

I love worshipping at Christ Harvests the Nations. There is such joy in the praising of our Lord Jesus Christ; it takes me to the mountaintop as I participate in the singing and the dancing! This morning’s service was exciting and insightful. The Youth Choir sang -- accompanied on the drums by our own John Cromer! Richard sang, as did his wife Victoria. Our team took a few minutes to introduce themselves and bring greetings. Rev. James began his sermon with praise, singing “O Come Let Us Adore Him.”

It was a spiritually electrifying morning!!

After worship, we had lunch then packed up to spend the afternoon at Labadi Beach. We’d looked forward to this “day of rest.” very much.

The beach was absolutely packed -- we snaked our way between people, chaise lounges, tables, and umbrellas until we found an area where we could all sit down. We ordered some cold soft drinks, splashed in the surf (the rip-currents are very strong here and swimming is not advisable), and watches some of the entertainment. An acrobatic group of 3 men and two children tumbled, flipped, built human pyramids, and performed amazing stunts to the delight and applause of folks surrounding them. They passed the hat to collect tips, then moved on to another patch of sand and another group of spectators. Strolling musicians, with guitars and djembes did the same, sharing their talents with the folks on the beach. Several horses ambled along the beach; for a couple of cedis you could take a ride. A lady came by with a small basket of nail polish -- did we want a pedicure or a manicure? Only 3 cedis (5 if you wanted a design painted on your nails). Several of us ladies jumped on that bargain! Where else can you get a fresh pedicure for around $2.25? We ate plantain chips, popcorn, beef kebobs, French fries -- and could have ordered full meals from the restaurants behind us if we’d desired! Many many people, much laughter, entertainment, sun, sand, surf -- what more could you ask for?

The sun began to set so we boarded the bus and drove back to Tema. After dinner, we packed up for the week’s journey into the Volta region. The Grace Church group had their time of sharing while we uploaded some photographs and completed some other work.

*****
I feel happiness & joy here. It is hard to explain; there’s a freedom I feel here that is somehow squelched in the hustle-bustle of my US lifestyle. As a result of that, my emotions tend to be right at the surface. I laugh easier -- and I cry easier. I seem to feel more. Sometimes that is a good thing; sometimes it isn’t quite so grand. At times this trip, to be honest, I have felt shut out and even unwanted a time or two. I am trying to shake it off, I’m a “big girl” you know. (I always recall my mama teaching me about the Golden rule. Treat all people like you wish to be treated. I’m grateful for her teaching.) It is times like these when I have to really lean on HIM, as He will send gentle reminders to me that I AM in the right place, at the right time, doing what HE has instructed me to do. His first commandment is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength; and His second commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. If you truly follow these commandments, we believers are charged to PROVE IT through our actions, words, and deeds. I want to live my life in such a way that Jesus is seen through me -- regardless of what language people speak, what belief system they hold, where they were born, or how they view the world.

And in the end, that’s what matters, you know?

Blessings,
Anita <><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

FREE THE TATAS, SAVE THE TURTLES!