Success

We are all familiar with Ralph Waldo Emerson's poem defining Success.


To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better,
         whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

Recently, I began participating in an online Retreat for the Writer's Soul.  Each day, in addition to a short meditation, I receive a writing challenge.   One such challenge was to create our own definition of success, following Emerson's lead.

It took me just about all day to put it together.  I played with phrases and words that spoke "success" to me.  It was a tough assignment, but one that I really enjoyed.

I share it here, and offer a challenge to my readers to think about what success is all about to you.


Silver Success
To embrace the joy in every day;
To forgive your past mistakes, and learn from your experiences;
To practice grace, and grant second chances;
To love yourself so that you can truly give love to others; to offer encouragement to fellow travelers through life; 
To scatter kindness as you go;
To leave a legacy of love.

This is to have succeeded.

Blessings!
Anita

Comments

Oh I love the Silver Success. Must remember this.
I do think I'll write a few of my own. As always, from the heart.
beverley said…
Lovely contemplative reflection on the meaning of a good life and what it might involve. It's both peaceful and compelling--a challenge to reflect on one's life and find how to live more fully and happily.
Kevin said…
I feel successful when I manage to put some space(time) between me impulse and my action.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

FREE THE TATAS, SAVE THE TURTLES!