18-- Birthday Week / PARTY TIME!

August 27- September 2, 2018

The last week of August!  I look forward to it every year because it’s my BIRTHDAY WEEK!  This year, it’s especially meaningful to me.  I think back to just a few weeks ago, when I nearly choked to death and thought I might not SEE this birthday.  It’s a particularly joyful time this year!

I’ve felt stronger lately, my voice is steadier, “Elmer Fudd” hasn’t been speaking for me for several days now and I am feeling more like “me” again.  I still need to take lots of breaks, and I have to rest more than usual, but my spirits are lifting and I’m laughing more.  All good things.

My mom and dad came for a visit on Tuesday.  They brought me some flowers and a birthday gift, plus some pears harvested from the tree in their yard. We just sat and chatted a while, talking about friends and relatives and church.  It’s always good to see my mom and dad; I treasure the time I have with them.  I think where parents are concerned, my sister and I hit the Ultimate Jackpot! 

Later in the evening, my friends Harriet and Marge stopped by with a Birthday Surprise!  They brought a Red Velvet cake, plus some other birthday goodies!  I love tea, and I love cats – they know me well!  The visit with them was fun and I was glad they came by.

Wednesday morning – MY BIRTHDAY!  I welcomed 62 with open arms!  David made me a breakfast of cottage cheese and pears, fresh watermelon and cantaloupe, plus a birthday candle.   

Aliza gave me a wooden yarn bowl – how did she know I’ve wanted one of those?  She also gave me a book and an Amazon card. 

All three of my kids called me, the grandsons called and sang “Happy Birthday” which made me giggle!  My friend Richie in Ghana called me; Rita from Charleston also called.  I had other friends to text, call, email, and post Facebook wishes.  I felt surrounded with love all day. 

My friends Barb and Deb brought lunch and more goodies over – I’m trying to stay out of the public arena as much as possible since my immune system is down, so I appreciated that they brought lunch to me.  Chicken wraps and a birthday cake too – we had a feast!  I made an orange salad, David added some chips and veggies with dip.  I blew out all the candles (well, we abbreviated the number, with 62 candles I would have had to call the Fire Department!) and was thankful – not so long ago I wouldn’t have been able to blow out ONE candle, much less the 16 on that cake.  We sat around the table and told stories and laughed all afternoon – friendship is “good medicine” to be sure!















Later in the evening THE COOLEST THING happened.  We had a rainstorm – it was raining like crazy  but the sun was shining brightly.  I figured there would be a rainbow, so I went outside my front door to take a look.  There absolutely WAS a rainbow – and it ended in my FRONT YARD!  What a beautiful sign of promise from God!  I latched onto that as an omen of better days and better times ahead for healing and restoration! 
Thursday was a busy day:  I had a couple of doctor visits in the morning.  We got up and were out of here by 8:15, headed to Columbia.  My first stop was Dr. Marom’s office for some blood work.  While I am on these medications, I have monthly lab work to keep an eye on things.  That didn’t take too long; I saw Dr. Marom briefly while I was there, he was pleased to see me “upright and feeling more human” again. 

Next stop was Dr. Mayson’s office, my pulmonologist.  I got a GREAT report there – My Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) was 84%!  A HUGE improvement from the 33% I had July 20, when I left the hospital.  Everyone in that office that was familiar with me and my situation was excited and happy for me.  It felt good to be “celebrated” for good test results. 

Aliza treated us for lunch while we were “out and about” at Basil Thai, one of my favorite places in Columbia.  We shared Basil Spring Rolls, then David and I shared rice with Tom Aban Talay (seafood hot and sour soup) – my favorite dishes there.  Aliza had Pad Thai.  It was all delicious and I appreciated the treat. 
We also made a quick stop into Ulta, where I picked up some nail polish.  Hey, a girl’s got to look good, you know! 

Once I got home, I think all the celebrations caught up with me.  I stretched out on the bed for a “quick” nap – and slept all afternoon!   
Our celebrations will continue, though – David’s birthday is Sunday! 
 


***   ***   ***   ***   *** 
Untethered Time Travel:  PARTY TIME!

It is late August of 1965 and I am 9 years old. 

Our house is full of giggling little girls because it is my birthday and we are having a PARTY!  My next door neighbor Margaret is there, along with cousins Kitty, Judy, and Barbara, and my friends Lynn, Lisa, and Gail and her little sister Terry.   Everybody is wearing party dresses -- this is in the 60s, you know!  

My mother has planned lots of games for us to play.  
One is “guess how many gumballs are in the jar” and 
my friend Lynn got the closest guess so she won the gumballs.   

I opened my presents after we had played outside for a while. 
Then it was time to eat! 

I blew out all the candles on my cake, my mom served it with lots of ice cream.  Chocolate, of course!

  It was a fun day of celebrating the end of the summer along with 
My Special Day!  

Comments

Nancy Detweiler said…
I got teary reading this blog and knowing how kind your family and friends are being to you. It's so good to know you are improving! I agree: Family and Friendship are the spice of life!

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

Rejection, plain & simple