A Letter To the Anita of April, 2018 / STITCHING

Dear Younger Anita,

Thank you.

I've come to appreciate you more in the past few days.  There are a few little signs you left that I've recently stumbled upon that made me smile, and made my "new normal" just a bit easier.

It's only been a few short months -- April to almost October, about 6 months -- but so much is different than when you were here.  I am beginning to find my way back to a few things you used to do.

One of them is sewing.

I wanted to try to make some Angel Gowns.  Younger Anita, you would spend an afternoon cutting out gowns, then a full day machine stitching and pressing, then a couple of evenings with the hand work -- turning out maybe a dozen or more gowns of different sizes.

I dreaded trying to cut out the gowns, to be honest.  Cutting them out is the only part I sort of dislike; for some reason it makes my back hurt -- it bothered YOU, Younger Anita, I know.  I figured now it would take me most of a day, if not two days.

But as I began to organize my work space yesterday, I discovered a stack of gowns already cut out -- by Younger Anita!  I do not remember cutting them out at all, but Younger Anita, you were looking out for me.  You had also wound several bobbins, threaded the machines properly, everything was set and ready for me to sew, once I was able to get back into it!


It was as if you were leaving me hints and encouraging me from the past, "You can do this, you can get back to some of yourself!"

I took my time; I stitched and pressed a while yesterday, then a little more today. Eight preemie-sized Angel Gowns are ready for the hand work.  I should be able to turn them in this Saturday!  It is a great boost to my spirits to be able to do something like you, the Younger Anita, could do!

I worried that I couldn't thread a needle, my hands shake a good bit.  But it was as if I could hear you, Younger Anita, saying, "You've got this, you've threaded a million needles in your life.  Just do it!"  And I DID!

As I begin to be able to get back into some of our old chores, I see little things you did that make my New Life With Myasthenia Gravis a little easier.  Small, labor-saving tricks here and there.  Things organized for easy access and use.

A few multi-purpose tools here and there that have come in handy for new uses -- like the "grabber" tool that you used when you did the trash pick-up on our street now helps me pick things up or reach things placed on a high shelf.  The steam mop that is easy to use on the kitchen floor.

Younger Anita, I also appreciate that you were trying to be healthy.  You exercised; walking and keeping track with our FitBit.  You had lost some weight, made better food choices.
I am working hard to maintain that weight, in spite of the medications that I am on.  It's not easy, but I don't want to undo all the good work you had done for me
previously!
                     
So once again, thank you, Younger Anita.  I remember you with fondness, and will work toward the goal you set for me, with kindness toward myself.


Love,
Me with MG


***   ***   ***   ***   *** 
Untethered Time Travel:  STITCHING

It is 1962.  I am 6 years old.

I’ve come home from school, and I’m sitting on the gray sofa watching tv.  Probably “I Love Lucy” or “Andy Griffith.”  My mother turns off the tv and sits beside me.  She has a bag from the “dime store” -- it’s a surprise for me!  She pulls out a little stamped potholder, some embroidery floss, a small pair of scissors, and a needle.  She is going to teach me to embroider. 

First she shows me how to separate the floss into 2 strands to embroider with.  Then she shows me how to lick the end of the thread and push it through the eye of the needle.  That takes LOTS of practice before I get it right.  She shows me how to “bury” the tail of the thread in the work before I begin taking little stitches to outline the design.

Every day for weeks, I work on the little potholder after school.  Some stitches look better than others.  Eventually, I finish it!  I’m so proud of the work I did on the “Time For Breakfast” potholder!  My mother declares that it is “too pretty to use” and she saves it for me. 

It’s the first bit of hand sewing I ever did, and it sparked a love of stitchery that has remained with me my whole life.  

Comments

Nancy Detweiler said…
The Caudle family knew how to sew. Our Moms taught us! I remember making my 1st dress (that I could actually wear) at age 5 on a pedal sewing machine! I use to love emboidering for dresser scarfs and pillows. Almost everything I wear now has some emboidering on it--done at the factory, not by me. Just one of the many reasons, I'm thankful I was born into the Caudle Family! I learned to knit; but never to crochet.
Anita said…
Nancy, I tried to knit, was never very successful at it. But Aunt Lula taught me to crochet, and I've made several things over the years. I always think of Aunt Lula when I crochet.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

Rejection, plain & simple