4 -- Life Goes On, As Usual, Right?

May 30 - Mid-June, 2018

Back home after vacation, there are always a million things to catch up with.
A mountain of laundry, grass that needs to be cut, bills that need to be paid, special chores and projects -- all vying for attention.  We both threw ourselves in to getting our home ready for the summer.  We joke around that we run a Bed and Breakfast during the summer months -- we bought this house because it had plenty of room for guests and we actually do have a lot of visitors!


Some days I'd wake up and my vision was fine.  But most days, it would eventually split and I'd be seeing double.  I found it difficult to finish tasks -- just trying to SEE was frustrating and exhausting. But I pushed through.

The last day of May, I drove to my daughter Melody's house for an overnight visit.  Grandson Carter's school was having a Spring Celebration, and I was invited to go to the festivities!  I had a good time visiting that Thursday evening, reading bedtime stories to Carter and Kemp.  Friday morning, we packed yard chairs and bottles of water and drove to the school.  The festivities were held outside.  Parents, grandparents, siblings all sat beneath the shade trees and watched proudly as the students gathered by grade at the base of the hill.  Each grade level performed a song -- Carter's class danced to The Macarena -- and the atmosphere was fun and exciting.  School was just about OUT for summer! 
After the Spring Celebration ended, we went to lunch together, along with Carter's other grandparents.  Someone got my phone during lunch and took a few selfies.....


I spent a little more time with the kids before I returned home.  These two are Real Farm Boys -- and they love their tractors!


 I put the top down on my car to make the drive home more fun.  But I put my hand over one eye because the double vision was really bothering me.

I drove my car once more, in the following week. Then I hung up my keys for a while.  The double vision was an impairment, and I did not want to risk hurting anyone else as a result of dealing with it.

The next several days were filled with activity.  I met friends for lunch a couple of times, had an appointment for a manicure, another appointment for my mammogram.   David and I had tickets to a concert one evening.  There were also the usual household chores of laundry and cleaning, plus I needed to work on the upstairs room.  It is a huge guest room but one end doubles as my craft/sewing space.  I really needed to straighten that up before "Bed and Breakfast Season" started in earnest!  I noted that I felt more tired than usual -- but I thought that maybe it was because I was focusing so much energy on trying to SEE.

I belong to an online Girlfriends Chat group.  There are 10-15 members, from all over the US, plus members from Canada, Germany, and Tasmania.  I guess I've been friends with some of these ladies almost 20 years.  We email to the group every day, sharing our our joys and frustrations, our grumbles and giggles.  If Life throws something at us, we dump it all out to each other online.  We make each other laugh, we share advice and counsel (whether asked for or not! haha), we vent, we celebrate.  At any rate -- by this time I was really frustrated about seeing double all the time.  I knew an eye patch would make life simpler....but my vanity was really getting in the way.  As I grumbled online to my friends about it, they all began working on my Positive Mental Attitude.  Soon the girls had me in stitches, we were "talking like a pirate arrrrrr" and talking about the latest in Piracy Fashions.

I got over my vanity and ordered a couple of eyepatches.  Blue brocade, of course.  A female pirate's got to be presentable, you know.

  Then a day or so later, I got a giant box in the mail containing "Pirate's Booty" snacks, a parrot to perch on my shoulder, and a book, "History's Famous Female Pirates."  Just learning about being bold and brave, you know.



Shiver me timbers, yall. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day Time Stopped

Love Ya Legacy

Rejection, plain & simple